Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Just not liking my job lately

Hi ladies,
    I just seem to be in a slump lately and just not enjoying my job anymore. I have been doing daycare now for 5 years, I am 39 and just feel like I am done! I am tired of whining, crying, fighting, not listening, poopy diapers, snotty noses, constant cooking and cleaning. Certain little things parents do I find annoying. I am hoping this is just a phase! Lol.

The thing is I don't know what I want to do if I don't do daycare. I have looked up courses I could take but nothing really interests me. I did find a job online I would like to apply for but my daughter isn't in school full time yet so I don't want to find daycare for her either. I just need to get through the next year until she goes to school full time and then I can get her in the before/after school program.

Anyone else feel this way? How do you just get through it?

Outgoing
    I have a couple kids in particular that make me think about doing something different. But, like you, theres nothing else I want to do. Then I'll have a day without that child, and realize I really do like what I do. Do you have a problem child or family that's stressing you out? Could you reduce the amount of children you take to still make it work?

Shy
    I did daycare for over 12 years before I felt that I needed a change. Tried working at retail but realized that I really missed working with children. I went back to school got my ECA and became a nanny. Back into home daycare now. I felt like I have done a circle. Is there something in your program you could change to make it easier? Is there an age group that you like to work with in particular?

Euphoric !
    I've only worked in healthcare (3 years) and childcare (almost 10 years, 4 with my hdc) and than of course the restaurant biz as we had a family run one growing up and I worked at others throughout high school as well. I can't imagine doing anything else but daycare now though. I really hope that I am able to keep doing this until I want/can retire! For me, I feel very blessed that I am able to be a part of children's lives during their early years and take it very seriously knowing that I am helping shape, in a part, who they will become as adults. I feel it is an honour when parents choose me to be their caregiver because they are trusting me with something so very important and dear to their hearts.

HOWEVER, burn out in this career is quite common and to be expected! You are basically a full time stay at home mom for multiple children 24/7 (a little less for those of us without children or with children now out of the home) but we still spend A LOT of our time invested in our business. It can definitely take a toll on even the best caregiver!! Recognizing that burning out is occurring is a good thing, nothing to feel bad about! It takes a special type of person to be a caregiver for so many people for so many years, especially for little people who are just starting to learn what the world is about

Like Superfun, there are from time to time children who come to my daycare that make me wonder why I do this...but than hearing them say their first word, take their first step, learn to colour match, sing their ABC's or even just a giggle from them when you do something silly reminds me that this job is what I was meant to do.

I encourage everyone to take holidays!! We are a one man team and have so many dependent on us that it is very stressful and at times, overwhelming. Taking time off to just do things you want to do, relax, spend quality family time with your own etc is something that just lifts you back up and rejuvenates you to tackle the job again!! I know some can't afford it but I say you can't afford NOT too!! Find even an extra $10 every paycheque and put it away! Spend it on something you WANT (not need) and don't feel guilty!! I take holidays every year and yes, it sometimes makes money tight but the time off is invaluable to me!! This year, it's actually my goal to be better at saving for my holidays. I usually just wing it lol.

I also find that taking time to plan my art/science/sensory etc activities makes my day less stressful. Even an hour on the weekend will make your week less hectic. Take some time when you can (during nap is a good time!) and cook meals that can be frozen. I buy the tinfoil containers from the dollar stores and make a big batch of macaroni at once, some becomes mac and cheese, some with spaghetti sauce, some with alfredo etc or I cook a bag of potatoes or a box of rice and than cook up a box of fish sticks, chicken fingers, porkchops, meatballs, ham, roasts etc and divide it into the containers. Than at lunch I throw it in to be reheated and pair with a fruit and veggie, lunch is done easy peasy!! These come in SOOO handy when I don't have leftovers or a lunch prepared.

I think you need to decide if daycare is what your invested in or if it's time to let it go (haha, unintentional Frozen pun!) It sounds harsh (but I don't mean it that way!!) but I think if you're doing daycare just to have a job than it's time to go. Kids deserve our very best and the opportunities to learn and grow and be with caregivers who want to do this job because it's their passion and they enjoy it. There are already enough providers out there who just babysit and I don't think you want to be part of "that" group.

You are a great provider and the kids are lucky to have you and I appreciate having you to bounce ideas off of and to ask for advice. I think with some changes you could get back to enjoying the job!! Also, remember, we are all here for you and I'm sure we all go through periods where we feel "blah" in our job and have off days and that's okay!! I think lots of people go through this in any career.

Euphoric !
    The grass is always greener on the other side...but there is ALWAYS a other, more green side.

Before making any big decisions (ie closing your daycare) take a break. Make some changes...are you just in a lull and bored? Start some new routines with the kids, do a total change of your daycare space. If there is one family that is just wearing you down terminate them. It sucks to let someone go but if it is what it takes to enjoy your job and be your best for the other kids it is not only worth the termination but it is necessary.

Try some workshops to get new ideas to bring back so you are fresh. Just book a random day off and head to the spa, or shopping, or sleep ALL day...take a 'ME day'.

Euphoric !
    Thanks everyone. I know that the main problem right now is I just have too much on my plate. Transitioning new baby, potty training others, kids are just off lately. I have a great group right now and really can't complain, it's just the little things grating on my nerves. I try and have a good attitude but the second the door opens and in comes screaming kid at 730am my good mood comes crashing down. The potty training seems to be taking forever this time around but I know I have to keep going. I am just tired of repeating myself over and over and over! The other day after I was cleaning poop off the bathroom floor that fell out of the pull-up because I didn't get to the bathroom quick enough with boy before he pulled pants down I thought to myself - why am I doing this! My daughter is 5, self sufficient, I don't have to be cleaning up poop. The thought of winter and snow suits makes me cringe!

I just have to suck it up and plug along. I am going to see about taking a night class or something. I told my husband about the job posting and he told me to apply for it. I told him as much as I want to I think I will pass. It pays good but I can't afford to pay for a full time daycare spot and the before/after school program. One more year!!! Who knows maybe by then things will have changed.

I do think I am getting burnt out. It's my own fault for not taking enough time off and having too many other things on the go.

Expansive...
    I totally feel your pain. I had a few of my kids leave for school this year and I miss them terribly and also feel like maybe I should throw in the towel......especiall y when I think about snow suits, mitts, hats, boots. It's enough to make me have PTSD. Winter is the worst and I also find myself chuckling inside about how much of my day is spent discussing poop and pee and/or cleaning it.

Euphoric !
    I have decided to give it until June before I actively start looking for work. I can't afford daycare and before/after school care for my daughter. Now the countdown is on!! lol I am trying to give it my all until then but it is hard.

I got notice from a family today! totally blindsided. AHH, they are leaving for a centre. so now the search is on to fill the spot. this is another thing I just can't handle any longer. I am just so exhausted physically and emotionally. Daycare has completely sucked me dry. I don't want to feel like this anymore.

Euphoric !
    Unfortunately right now my weekends are full with other things. My daughter just started school so that has been more stress on me. I have a very busy life outside of daycare and it doesn't allow for much down time. Difference is I enjoy that stuff. The past few nights I have been in bed by 8:30. I am heading there shortly tonight too.

I know in my heart I am done. I won't just take any job to get out of it though. Once June comes I will start looking. It could be a 6 month search for all I know.

The excuse I got on the notice from the family is that my holidays are not convenient and she ends up having to use her holiday time for my days off. This is very frustrating to hear because I don't take enough time off. I literally book 10 days off throughout the whole year, maybe take 1-2 sick days if that a year. I also give my holiday schedule to families in February for the whole year and if there are any changes I give minimum 2 months. She usually gets a babysitter for most days I close too. Anyways, nothing I can do about it. It is what it is.

Euphoric !
    As long as you are doing stuff that you enjoy than that is fantastic!! I'd also classify some of that as downtime. When I do my artsy projects, that's my downtime, my time to destress!! It's when we get caught up in doing things we feel obligated to but don't want to do, that's trouble!! Saying no is okay!!

I've had one family for sure leave for that same reason! She only got 2 weeks vacation and unless she wanted to take it at same time, I can see how annoying that would be. It's why I stress so much during interviews to have a plan for my holidays in place. I refuse to feel guilty (well more than I already do! Lol) for taking some me time.....just like many of them do!