Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Feeling uspet and tired!

Sorry, I'm feeling upset and tired, I recently had an interview, it went well, mom signed papers with me starting January she will need subsidy we were in the process of filling papers, I saw so many red flags but I ignored them because I needed the client, she asked me 1,000 questions I answered all of them! she was even asking me what are my holidays for christmas 2016. I saw it strange anyway today, she emailed me saying she doesn't need daycare after january and that she will come by so for me to fill the subsidy papers for one month only, she found another daycare with longer hours and less vacations then mine and that the other daycare don't close for stat holidays, ok, I take only two weeks vacations in summer and all stat holidays omg, I need a break I run a family daycare so its just me. I don't have in my contract that expect parents to stay at least 6 months I should add it to my contract I'm getting tired of the up and downs of this business I have 8 years running but every year it's getting exhausting with the clients demands. any opinion will be much appreciated. thanks

Euphoric !
    Honestly, I'd just tell her that you are no longer able to offer her the spot since she only needs it for a month and you prefer (and need!!) to fill it with someone who is planning on staying long term. I'd even go as far to white lie and say that you will be moving onto the next family that is interested!!

Plus side....at least she was upfront about only needing a month now??

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Luckily you got a head's up and she didn't just up and leave. Use this time to fill the space. Let her know (and have her sign a contract noting) that you will only care for her daughter in January if you do not fill the space before the end of January.

As much as it sucks...it might just be a full month's income, giving you extra time to find a long term family.

5 Little Monkeys -but, that means I have to return the deposit back and I won't get the rest of the money for Jan, and christmas is coming what an awful decision, I'm mad I wish I can do that and leave her to worry about Jan she now is going to use me for January so she can go on Feb she even said she was in the waiting list for a year.

Thanks
    Last edited by littlefish; 12-01-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Lee-Bee I guess, I have to care for her son for January so I can at least get a full months
    income. thanks

Euphoric !
    I must be feeling grouchy because I'd find it in the budget to just let her go! Lol

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I've started asking too homeschool mom. I ask if they're planning on staying long term (aside from a serious or concerning incident happening) or if they think they'll do preschool or if they're on wait lists for centres. I find because we're face to face and they're put on the spot, it's usually easy to read them and/or they're honest with their answers anyways.

I actually did take one last year and mom had said she planned on putting him in ps but when it came time to do it this year, she didn't bother as she didn't think it would benefit him any more than what he gets now plus she wouldn't have to worry about the schedule of getting him there and to a grandparents before or after ps.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I always ask if long term and turn away people planning on going to centre at 18 months. I recently had similar situation where someone sign up, and hand notice on first day on arrival because they realized it 30 min drive to work from my house and they start 7.30am. In winter they not going be at work on time. I was amaze they not think about this but seem they just looked for home they want and not think about travel time.

I change my contact now. I normally apply deposit to last week of care but now I changed it so if they leave in 6 months or less, the deposit is forfeited.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

I have dealt with this so many times my contract now starts that they have to be with my 52 weeks (1 yr) in order to use their deposit towards their last two weeks of care.
    I had it at 6 months, but they would leave around 8 months (child 18m) to a centre. I do ask in my interview wheither or not they are on any waiting lists, but I find most lie or go on list later for what ever reason. I do do temporary care and their deposit goes to securing the spot (I won't replace them with a long term family, before their contract is up) not towards care itself.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Maybe I change mine to year then. Did any parent even comment on it Bluerose?