Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

So what is your policy on school bus cancellations?

I have a mom that is really pisses because she now has to leave work to pick up her child from school, drop him off to me, then go back to work. Two years ago, when she signed my contract there is a part that states" In the case of school bus cancellations, it is the parents responsibility to get child to and from school, or child is welcome to attend for a full day ( at daily rate)" Said parent signed both the contract and initialled this area.
    Grrrrrrrr........ What makes you think that i want to have to walk to the school in freezing rain, with icy roads for an hour?????????
    What is your policy?

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by 33 Daiseys View Post
    I have a mom that is really pisses because she now has to leave work to pick up her child from school, drop him off to me, then go back to work. Two years ago, when she signed my contract there is a part that states" In the case of school bus cancellations, it is the parents responsibility to get child to and from school, or child is welcome to attend for a full day ( at daily rate)" Said parent signed both the contract and initialled this area.
    Grrrrrrrr........ What makes you think that i want to have to walk to the school in freezing rain, with icy roads for an hour?????????
    What is your policy?
    I don't take school aged kids because I didn't want to deal with this stuff. However, when I did, my policy was the same. If busses are cancelled parent is responsible to getting their child to and from school or sending them for the day at my full time rate. I would just reiterate that in your conversation. Its one day, she easily could have sent the child to you to avoid to inconvience and awful road conditions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fireyesblue For This Useful Post:

Shy
    So, let me get this straight.
    She expected you to get dressed, get all the other kids you care for dressed, and risk everyones safety's in bad weather conditions to retrieve her child and all WALK back?

Nice mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyesblue View Post
    I don't take school aged kids because I didn't want to deal with this stuff. However, when I did, my policy was the same. If busses are cancelled parent is responsible to getting their child to and from school or sending them for the day at my full time rate. I would just reiterate that in your conversation. Its one day, she easily could have sent the child to you to avoid to inconvience and awful road conditions.
    Yup, it seems so g@@d##m stupid to risk your child's safety, especially since the younger brother is in care full time, so parent had to drop them off. They called half hour ago to make sure that i was picking the child up. My response to them was " It was your choice to send child to school today knowing the buses weren't running, so either you can pick them up, call a taxi, or have the child sit at the office until you can make it. No, I am not willing to take daycare children out in this weather regardless as to what you deem as safe, please let me know what you choose." Yes it was bitchy, and short but the sheer sense of entitlement is beyond me

yup. notice papers will be going home i think

Euphoric !
    She had the option to keep him at your house there is no reason for her to be upset...she CHOSE for him to go to school, she CHOSE to pick him up after school.

You can't own her feelings for this.

It's SNOW DAY kids are supposed to be home (at your place) having a blast at missing a day of school. Makes no sense to go out of her way to bring him when half the class will be away and teachers are not allowed to teach anything new on a snow day.

I know...... it just makes no sense. I have decided that i am going to term immediately tonight. This kid is a huge handful, tempers, parents running late, just drama central. This is just the snowflake that collapsed the snowman. I have two families that are on my waitlist, so that will mean i dont have to deal with this drama again. shame since they have been here for over 5 years

Starting to feel at home...
    Your policy sounds fair. I can't imagine why a parent would question it. But I tend to be the type to give people the benefit of the doubt. So my initial thought was: is this the first time busses have been cancelled since this parent's child has started school? Is there any chance that she simply forgot about the policy since it's been two years since she signed it? Maybe she's just frustrated in general by the situation and it's not directed at you? As a parent, I might be a bit rattled by the situation too. But that being said, we don't have "snow days" where I live and it would have to be minus 50 before busses were cancelled, so this scenario would likely never come up where I live.
    Last edited by MommaL; 02-03-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Euphoric !
    I think it's a little extreme to terminate IMO. If buses are cancelled it should be the parents responsibility to take child to/from school daycare.

She probably just didn't want to pay ur full time fee so she brought him to school. I don't take school kids. I don't want to do bus runs with babies. When I first opened I did for a yr then stopped. When it was a snow day the parents had to drive but always the child just came here.