Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Before and After School Question

Hi,
    I'm new to this site and love to hear everyone's feedback.
    I do before and after school and I charge the following:

$15.00 per day which includes breakfast and snacks. 7:00 - 5:30

I recently told this one lady that I will be charging 1/2 price on P.A. days, sick days, statutory holidays and I have given her two weeks a year off vacation. Anything after the two weeks she needs to pay. I needed to change things with her cause every week there was something and I found it wasn't worth it for me. Between her and her husband they get 4 to 5 weeks vacation and she didn't want to pay me that time off. If you calculate all the holidays plus stats and march break and sick days and if any time I'm off it would work out to over 2 months a year no pay. Our initial arrangement was only benefiting her and not me and thats why things needed to change.

Well she wasn't too pleased. Basically yelling saying, "its ridiculous that I have to pay you on family day for me to stay home to watch my kids". My response was, "government pays you to stay home to be with your kids so why shouldn't I reap some of that reward as well...I work too". In my area people charge $17.00 to $25.00 a day for before/after school.

Anyways, do you think this is fair how I arranged it now?
    Thanking you in advance for your feedback.

Euphoric !
    NEXT.

She clearly doesn't respect your services so send her elsewhere.

There is NO WAY I would charge half price for a schoolager on full days. They EAT more, they use more art supplies, they complain and whine more.

Terminate the contract...if she apologizes and wants to resume care giver a new contract listed at $20 a day, full price for full days AND no paid vacation off.

Starting to feel at home...
    Totally agree with Lee-Bee.
    Schoolagers do cost a lot more to have for a full day than little ones. And I find they are easily bored no matter how many activities you have for them, which can be frustrating.

Also, I do not give any discounts for vacation, schoolage kids (for full days) stats, ect. If I am open and working, I am paid accordingly. If it is a stat, I am paid for the day just like the parents are paid for the day.

These parents sound like some of daycare parents that I have encountered through the years. You give them an inch and they take a mile. Once you start giving discounts and doing favours, they will always ask for more. I would definitely find another family.

Euphoric !
    I think she meant the parents use their vacation days and stay home with the kid(s) on those days and currently, she receives no money. Now, she is going to charge half for those days.

I think that's more than fair! I charge a reduced fee too for days I know ahead of time that they won't be here and for stats.

Expansive...
    Your rates are too low! How many hours are they actually with you for before&after? In my area it's at least $25-30 a day based on roughly 4 hrs and a walk to dropoff and pickup from school.
    Don't reduce your rates on holidays/PA days etc. The child is taking up a spot no matter what.
    Fees should be based on normal weekdays of enrollment, regardless of attendance ie. if you normally come on Mondays, then all stats/family holidays on a Monday will be paid-period!
    Take payments several weeks in advance of care. Personally, I'd find another client if she's giving you a tough time.

Shy
    She drops them off at 7:00. I feed them breakfast and drop them off at school at 8:30. Then, I pick them up after school at 3:15 and have them until 5:30-5:45.

Starting to feel at home...
    Rosie, I am sorry you are going through this and I am sure we can all relate as we have all had THAT client. I do not give any kind of discounts. I don't charge parents if I am closed (this does not include stats)ie vacation or sick days but this will be changing next year.

When i started this job I use wanted to be nice and generous and to be honest it got me to where. They cheapos will complain if you they pay full or half it doesn't matter because either way they are paying. Some people are never happy and will always try to nickle and dime you. If we all came together and followed similar guidelines it would save a lot of providers from disrespectful clients. I also gave 2 weeks unpaid vacations and I was such a newbie lol I let them take 14 business days not 10 lol so I gave an additional 4 days hahahah. Terminate those people seem very rude~
    Last edited by crayolamom; 04-05-2016 at 09:43 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crayolamom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would give her notice not a deal with 50%. She has use of a space and need pay for it. Does mortgage company cut her deal if she on vacation and not using house for 2 weeks? course not. The place is reserved for her use, just like your place is reserved for her child. Pay for it or go somewhere else.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Also agree. U are not being unreasonable the parent is. I charge full rate for all my holidays and all stat and gov days off.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

I would rather you charge full rate during the holidays,you have every right too.