Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Canadian Maternity leave law change

A daycare parent just sent me this link to an article about

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/joshua-...b_9778552.html

Now this will effect all of Canada as Justin Trudeau's government could potentially extend maternity leave to 18 months further restricting the ability to fill spots in Ontario with the ratio restrictions paired with full day kindergarten, that is in addition to the specific provinces regulations and how that will impact everybody within the independent home child a industry, Canada wide!!!!

I'm devastated and all I can think now is that I better get my skates on with my degree and save every penny I can while I still have the ability to make any money!

Euphoric !
    It is still the same pay out. 12months money spread out over the 18 months. So this will NOT work for the vast majority of families. It is just a job security perk for those that can make due without 6months income in their child's first 18months of life.

I really wouldn't stress about it. Just adapt as needed when it comes into play, if it affects us at all.

Outgoing
    I just saw this article on Facebook, too. All I can say is, I wouldn't worry about it yet. The original statement from the government said that they want to work with the provinces to change their regulations and rules regarding parental leave. I won't claim to understand all the inner workings of the EI system, but if the provinces have to be on-board, then it could be a long time coming. This blog post today, says that it is high time for the rest of the country to adopt a model similar to Quebec, and like I've said before, that's NEVER gonna happen. And even now, the Quebec government is seriously undermining their own system, to the point that none of us knows whether we'll be open in 5 years time.

So for the 18 months of mat leave, I really wouldn't worry about it. How many people would really be able to afford it anyway? Stretching your 55% of your salary over 18 months instead of 12.

Wouldn't that alter though...I mean wouldn't the EI for maternity leave be structured differently to offer a greater benefit to stretch the whole 18 months?

Euphoric !
    Taking a smaller monthly cheque isn't going to benefit a lot of families. I don't see many taking advantage of that. As a provider I would prefer to take kids over 18 months so I think it would be nice to not have everyone looking for daycare for their 11-12 month old.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Taking a smaller monthly cheque isn't going to benefit a lot of families. I don't see many taking advantage of that. As a provider I would prefer to take kids over 18 months so I think it would be nice to not have everyone looking for daycare for their 11-12 month old.
    It depends on the demographic of each provider though. For many of us, enquiries for daycare over the age of 2 is almost non existent. In Ontario where we can't have more than 2 under 2 and there is a full day everyday kindergarten program which eliminates nearly 50% of the provinces children aged 3, and almost all aged 4 and older....this further narrows the possibilities for filling our spots.

Also, what about the shortage of spots? While many may not be able to afford the extra 6 months off unpaid...There are far more people who can't even get an under 2 spot in a home daycare in Ontario AND a lot of daycare centres will not accept children under 18 months. So then at 18 months those parents preferring centre options will go to a centre without even considering home daycare because they don't have to from an age perspective, and perhaps it will just become more of a norm to plan ahead for this six month period, if it means that centre care is an option at that point.

Euphoric !
    Like others, I'm not worried. I don't know too many who would take 18 months for the same pay as 12. As it is, there are already a few families I've had who had to go back to work earlier than the year for financial reasons. If it does happen and parents choose this option, I'm okay with it too as I prefer kids over 18 months. My ratio is also 2 under 2 but finding older kids isn't that bad here....but definitely infant is the higher demand

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Like others, I'm not worried. I don't know too many who would take 18 months for the same pay as 12. As it is, there are already a few families I've had who had to go back to work earlier than the year for financial reasons. If it does happen and parents choose this option, I'm okay with it too as I prefer kids over 18 months. My ratio is also 2 under 2 but finding older kids isn't that bad here....but definitely infant is the higher demand
    I guess in Ontario the issue isn't simply that the two under two ratio exists, but that it has only just been implemented so we are dealing with the sudden influx of shortage, far more than simply at the rate of births.

Euphoric !
    I feel like I'm having a dumb moment....but I don't see what the issue is. Infants spots are typically quite easy to fill no matter where you live. If a parent is wanting a centre but needing to use a hdc for the 6 months (12-18 mths of age) than those really aren't clients you'd want anyways. Whether the child is 12 or 23 months doesn't matter, an infant spot is an infant spot. It makes no difference to me.

This option just allows parents to stay home longer if they want. It was always odd to me that few centres took younger than 18 months so for those who prefer centres, and can afford 18 months off, this will work great for them. I don't see how it will affect home daycares?

Euphoric !
    I not worried either and lot of province have 2 under 2 rule and have for long time. Even with current 12 month leave, most return at 10 month or sooner for finances. Only few will be able afford 18 months on same money.