Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Baby is a very picky eater

My baby brother is very picky and doesn't eat, how should I try to make him eat more or interest and motivate him to eat? My step mother is almost never home because she has to work so I always have to care for my baby brother, he's 18 months old now. When we first started introducing him to solids at 5 month and a half, he didn't seem that picky and would eat everything given to him. But lately, I've noticed he doesn't eat as much and he's very picky with his food. I tried using the airplane trick to feed him, that usually worked for my little sister when she was younger. But it doesn't work. He always shakes his head and says "no". He doesn't want to eat anything, I tried to give him snacks like fruits, crackers and other little things he used to really like when he was about 12 months. The pediatrician recommended to give him a meal booster drink like Pediasure but he doesn't want to drink that either. He occasionally drinks apple juice but only once in a while. He barely eats anything and he's really small, he's a lot smaller than most kids his age. I really need help, how should I try to get him to eat more foods? Because he's very small and it's worrisome.

Euphoric !
    Some kids don't eat much. There's nothing you can do. Just offer the one meal. Not make a battle. Sit at table and talk but not about the food. Take the focus off the food. Not try and bribe or encourage or even mention the food. Sit down, chat to him, eat your meal, and if he not eaten anything, take it away when done. Reduce snacks between meal so when it is meal time, he more likely to be hungry and eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Some kids don't eat much. There's nothing you can do. Just offer the one meal. Not make a battle. Sit at table and talk but not about the food. Take the focus off the food. Not try and bribe or encourage or even mention the food. Sit down, chat to him, eat your meal, and if he not eaten anything, take it away when done. Reduce snacks between meal so when it is meal time, he more likely to be hungry and eat.
    He doesn't really snack either though, he'd occasionally grab maybe a cracker but he'd never finish it from what I noticed. I'll try distracting him or talk to him. Thank you for your reply! I'll let you know if it works.

A couple of suggestions...

I understand he doesn't like the pediasure, but it might be worth trying to make him some smoothies, you can pack all kinds of goodness into them and he wouldn't need to consume much to get some goodness into him. Green veggies, hemp seeds for protein and nut butters. Avocado makes any smoothie creamy like milkshake.

I'm curious...does he eat junk food? Like for example, if you bought him a happy meal would he eat it? I am wondering whether this is in fact a fussy eater or if there is another underlying issue. There are many conditions that result in loss of appetite. I know he has see the pediatrician but this seems a chronic problem if its in combination with being a small weight for his age. If he would eat the junk food but nothing else then I would say stand your ground and wait this phase out, he will eat eventually, but if this is not exclusively about certain foods, then I would fear that leaving him too long may result in further medical issues. Is everyone in your brothers life consistent with his eating? Is he on a rigid routine with meal times and naptimes? I ask because children thrive much better on a strict routine and this would likely help reinforce his eating habits if everything was always very predictable.

Is he taking milk? any kind, formula, 2%, homo?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    A couple of suggestions...

I understand he doesn't like the pediasure, but it might be worth trying to make him some smoothies, you can pack all kinds of goodness into them and he wouldn't need to consume much to get some goodness into him. Green veggies, hemp seeds for protein and nut butters. Avocado makes any smoothie creamy like milkshake.

I'm curious...does he eat junk food? Like for example, if you bought him a happy meal would he eat it? I am wondering whether this is in fact a fussy eater or if there is another underlying issue. There are many conditions that result in loss of appetite. I know he has see the pediatrician but this seems a chronic problem if its in combination with being a small weight for his age. If he would eat the junk food but nothing else then I would say stand your ground and wait this phase out, he will eat eventually, but if this is not exclusively about certain foods, then I would fear that leaving him too long may result in further medical issues. Is everyone in your brothers life consistent with his eating? Is he on a rigid routine with meal times and naptimes? I ask because children thrive much better on a strict routine and this would likely help reinforce his eating habits if everything was always very predictable.

Is he taking milk? any kind, formula, 2%, homo?
    Sorry about the late reply, no, he doesn't want to drink milk, my step mom even tried breast milk. He'd drink for 2 minutes and just refuse to afterwards. The only smoothie or blended drink he drinks is when I make watermelon aguas fresca and he sees me drink it, then he'd want some too and drink a whole bottle of it. I tried to introduce him to homemade chicken and vegetable baked nuggets but he doesn't eat them either. My 5 years old brother loves it but the 18 month one avoids every food item I try to get him to eat or takes a few bites and just refuses afterwards. I'm trying to reinforce a good eating habit by using a reward system such as stickers or a fruit treat or frozen yogurt as a reward for good behaviors at the table with my brothers, but that doesn't seem to work for the little one, the older one seems to try a lot more foods thanks to that but my younger brother, I can tell wants the reward but doesn't want to eat to get it.

a picky eater is always a picky eater but if you do such a creative way of preparing foods it is much easier to feed them

21 Fun And Delicious Recipes You Can Make With Your Kids
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharr...king-with-kids

you can check this site hope it helps

Good day! Thank you for your message. I also want to share information. See how easy it is to make beautiful stories on site <a href="https://www.customessays.co. uk/essay">https://www.customessays.co. uk/</a>
    Last edited by Nana; 02-18-2019 at 03:01 AM. Reason: <a href="https://www.customessays.co.uk/essay">https://www.customessays.co.uk/</a>

Shy
    Tell him that when he starts to eat more, he will become huge and strong and be able to beat all the boys around!

YOU must show him that if he eats, he will get what he wants. If he likes it when you carry it in your arms, then carry it in your arms after he eats something. You need to work with instincts and emotions.

Just want to add to what was said above. You should try a creative way of preparing foods or food presentation. Also, take focus off the food, chat to him, eat your meal. And I agree with the thought that you should work with baby's instincts and emotions and show, that when he eats, he gets what he wants.
    Last edited by vseprosto90211; 02-19-2020 at 10:53 PM.