Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Securing a spot??

Just read another thread about families inquiring about availability when they aren't actually needing the space for a few months from now. So what if they want the space? When I opened all of the children started young and have stayed. I had one leave unexpectedly and so I have an immediate opening but most are looking for April/May start dates as that is when the mom is finished her mat leave. If they want to hold the spot, what do you do???

I charge a holding fee.

If care is to start more then four (4) weeks after you sign the contract.

$100/week until the week your child starts care.

Please note you start paying the holding fee once you sign your contract.

This non-refundable fee is only charged if the spot is open sooner then you require it.

If I can find a temporary to fill the spot, you will not have to pay the holding fee for the weeks the temporary child is in care.
    This fee is to be paid on the same pay schedule as tuition fees
    If care is to start within four (4) weeks of signing the contract.

No Holding fee is required
    If the spot isn't open (more then four weeks) at the time you sign the contract there will be a holding fee stating the week the spot becomes available until your child starts care.

A holding fee does not go towards care. It helps the provider cover a little of the loss income of keeping the spot empty.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If someone want empty place held for them, they pay for it. If someone want future place like when child goes school in September, they pay for it from day available. I not hold empty space for parent peace of mind without being paid for it. I want peace of mind I can pay my bills, they want peace of mind that they have place secured. That is fine but there cost for that.

Starting to feel at home...
    My area is low demand, semi-rural, with inquiries months apart. I don't charge a holding fee, because most families on mat leave around here can't afford it, so they would go elsewhere (I haven't found any around here that do a holding fee, and I'm on par for fees with centres and other registered homes, even though I have specialized training and mostly from scratch, organic food). To confirm the spot I require completed paperwork and payment for the first 2 weeks with a firm starting date. I've had a spot open since Dec, hoping to fill it for April start. It really depends on your area. I have a solid program, big house and natural outdoor play spaces with gardens, chickens, low trees and stumps for climbing, tonkas and shovels for a gravel pit, etc and it still takes me months to fill spaces.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by chenderson View Post
    Just read another thread about families inquiring about availability when they aren't actually needing the space for a few months from now. So what if they want the space? When I opened all of the children started young and have stayed. I had one leave unexpectedly and so I have an immediate opening but most are looking for April/May start dates as that is when the mom is finished her mat leave. If they want to hold the spot, what do you do???
    If parent want delayed start on current vacancy, they pay for the spot and they are welcome to use it. I not hold an empty space for future start date.

If parent want to contract for space I know coming in future like when child age out for school, then they pay for the spot from the date it becomes available.

If I had space now, and someone want March, then they pay for it.
    If I had space in September and someone come now wanting mid-September, they pay for space from date child leaves and it available.