Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Failure to Grow

Outgoing

Failure to Grow

Hi - I have a dcb who is almost 17 months and he's been in my care for almost 6 months. Easy kid , great family. Normal height and weight at birth and was full term.
    When he first came to my daycare, mom told me doctor keeping a watch on him as he wasn't gaining enough weight or growing in height the way he should be. At one of his appointments doctor even said felt he had shrunk (how weird is that?). Totally healthy kid from what I can tell, with normal milestones. Anyway, I've fed him a ton for the past 6 months, but at last check up, according to doctor, he's same as he was when started with height and weight. Doctor sent him to test for celiac but that came back negative. He seems totally normal to me except he does eat with a fervor that I haven't seen before . He acts like it's been hours since he ate. And he doesn't know when to quit eating and will go on til he spits up.
    Parents are medium height and weight and take good care. In my experience kids are always growing are they not?, even if slowly but still physically growing always. Even genetically short kids. He did grow for his first 6- 8 months but plateaud after that. Anyone familiar with this? Could gluten intolerance or lactose intolerance cause failure to grow? Or is it just genetics?. Anyway, he's off to see more doctors soon. My own kids never gained weight the way the charts said they should but they always grew tall like crazy so doctors were never concerned. Is doc over reacting. Any experiences?
    Last edited by ebhappydc; 07-20-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Euphoric !
    My first thought would be some sort of metabolic disorder. He is using all that energy for something other than growing. Which could be cause for concern.

As for shrinking I had that happen to one of my DCG a few years back at her 15month appointment she was a bit shorter. Her parents came back from the appointment seriously concerned. Until I pointed out that measuring toddlers is a nurse lying them flat and marking their head and feet on the paper bed liner and measuring it. Major room for error. A little shorter likely just means they over measured at 12months and under measured at 15months. The same may be happening here.

If this were my child I would definitely be following up with more doctors to rule out any disorders. It may very well be nothing but no point waiting a few more years to realize there was something wrong that could have been dealt with. It is great that he appears normal on all other fronts and is happy and well adjusted. But, if he is eating a lot of food, always seems hungry and isn't growing up or out then I do think something could be slightly amiss!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Possibly some sort of malabsorption issue? Not sure. Normal bowel movements and digestion?
    How about overactive thyroid? Really have no idea, just grasping at straws here.
    I'd stay on top of them about following that up periodically with doctors.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Shy
    my daughter stopped growing as well. She stayed the same height and weight after one year. It turns out she had Hypothyroidsism. Have they checked the childs thyroid?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Home away For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Home away View Post
    my daughter stopped growing as well. She stayed the same height and weight after one year. It turns out she had Hypothyroidsism. Have they checked the childs thyroid?
    Thanks - will mention to parents. He's still not growing. But not thin or frail, and he's meeting all the milestones. I'm worried when he starts JK. He's gonna be flattened.

Expansive...
    Yes it is good that the parents are seeing the Doctors to figure it out.
    I did have one boy who was small for a 3 year old and Dad was not worried about it as he said he was small for his age until he became a teenager and then shoot up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Shy
    my daughter looked healthy as well, but her thyroid didn't produce enough to allow her to grow

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Home away For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    my daughter looked healthy as well, but her thyroid didn't produce enough to allow her to grow
    I told mom about possible thyroid issue and she said child hasn't been tested for thyroid (just celiac) .She asked doc at his 18 month appt last week and was advised his other blood numbers were normal so they're not checking thyroid. Pediatrician asked mom if she was worried about it, to which she said no, so doc said no worries then. If was me, I'd have thyroid checked. Parents are avg height, actually dad is tall. But maybe he simply takes after a shorter ancestor. In meantime, he's easy to lift I just have to remember he's not a baby. And he can hold his own thank goodness.

It seems this is a common problem.

Malabsorbtion and metabolic disorder is a common problem to that u can provide multivitamins and vitamin C to them you can check the site if you want too just a suggestion hope it works for your child

Top 10 Height Increasing Syrups And Capsules - StyleCraze
    www.stylecraze.com › News