Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Daycares posting pictures of kids on their public Facebook page?

What's your experience? Could it attract creeps? I'm assuming they ask for parent's permission before they post and would not post if you object. But still... anybody can find out where these kids are/were and what they are/were doing, what they look like, etc. Plus Facebook owns the pictures. What are your thoughts?

Euphoric !
    You need to assess the parents views on photo sharing before making the decision (and have their permission). I think a lot of families are ok with it as it is just the norm these days to share photos online. Some are not. I don't post online, but have permission to share photos via email to other daycare families. One family was against this at first and I just made note to not have their child in the photos shared. But they quickly realized they were missing out on the fun and changed their mind to get in on the photo sharing action. I don't know if they would have changed their mind if I was posting them on facebook though.

In my personal opinion. In this day and age there is NO way to prevent being in random peoples cell phone photos and videos. Every where we go people have their phones out. We end up in a lot of photos without knowing it.

I suspect the odds of a real creep tracking us down and stalking us to cause harm is pretty slim, and we can't live our lives in fear. I keep my child dressed like a young child and just trust that some photos online is not going to cause harm.

One more note, i don't use any of the tracking features on facebook. Yes, people can see landmarks and figure out where we were. But I am not posting in real time and not showing our every move. The bad guys can put some effort in to tracking us down, I won't do the hard work for them!

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't put the children's faces on social media-I crop them out or get angles from the side or back. I share full photos with parents with an app (brightwheel). I also don't list my address in my facebook page, and never 'check in'. Location is turned off on my camera privacy too. These things are not because I'm paranoid (I share my own kids all the time), but out of respect for other parents' choices. Some don't like posting their kids, and it's easier to do the same thing for everyone.

Euphoric !
    I have permission from all my parents to use photos. The kids are on most social media, youtube and have been on Global and CBC news a number of times. The children feature in photos for CICPO presentations as well. They're really out there. The parents love it and have never indicated a problem. However, I always, always, always ask permission. If a parent isn't comfortable with their child's image being used for business and CICPO purposes, then I make sure to get the shots I need without that child.
    Last edited by cfred; 08-09-2017 at 06:50 AM.

Euphoric !
    Facebook does NOT own the photos you upload on their social media site. That's total misinformation.

The photographer owns the image - always the photographer has the copyright ownership. However, in FB's terms of use, that you click to accept when you open a FB account, they state that if any of their users upload images, that person must own the copyright, and in choosing to upload on their site, they (FB) have the right to use those images for their own purposes.

This is for a copy of reasons. Firstly, by you agreeing to upload only images that you own the copyright to, it protects FB from any liability with regards to copyrighted work being shared without the real owners permission. If you upload someone else's images, you are the one at fault and any action from the copyright owners would fall on you, not on FB. Secondly, because you have promised to only upload images that you own the copyright to, you are also the person who can waiver the usage rights of that copyrighted image. This means, if others share your image, they aren't liable for any action from you, because you've authorised that use and have waivered some of the protection in choosing to upload.

So FB do not own the images, the ownership and rights remain with whoever took the images but in uploading to FB, you have acknowledged that certain rights are less protected than they would be if you didn't upload them.

That all said, as a child care provider, you are expected to behave in an professional manner and to protect those children from harm. It is always a good idea to have parents written permission to both take photos which include their child but also to publish them. And if you are using them in advertising, then that's considered commercial use, so you had best make sure that they acknowledge their permission for that as well. It's very different to take a photo of a child that you are only sharing with the parent than it is to use that child's image publically to promote your business.

To protect yourself..
    1) Make sure you have written consent to photo graph a child and include in that paper where the image might be used and for what purpose.
    2) Never label a photograph with a child's name.
    3) Never tag a parent to an image on social media as that then is giving personal identifying information to a wider audience. You don't know what the parents social media settings are and you don't know if there are any legal issues with regards to custody or even family issues where a child is being kept from a family member for some reason.
    4) If you are going to take photos and use them in advertising (commercially)then consider how potential client's might feel about it. It's likely reassuring to parents when a child's face is not shown because they will be considering that this could be their child if they join your day home. It's simple enough to show children partaking in activities without showing their faces and by photographing from an angle where their features are not shown. It's also simple to blur or cover their faces so they aren't identifiable.

In my experience, the daycare will always have a form that you can fill out at signup which says whether or not you allow your child's photo to be posted on their public social profiles (facebook..etc). If you do not complete this form then they should not post your child's pic on their facebook. Having said that, I dont think there are any issues with this as most daycares do it
    To Teach a Child is to Build the Next Generation

I think they should ask permission first with the parents before posting since this is minor.

use facebook video downloader to get fb images , high lights and many more