Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Daycare for Kids with Autism

Hello All,

I am looking for a daycare for my 2.5 yr old son who is suspected to have Autism. He had his initial screening yesterday , and the physician asked us to postpone the final testing and give him 2 more months to develop his skills as she noticed he has very positive strengths and liked us to give him more time. he will have the testing in November. So I would like to know if there is any daycare in the Durham Region who has some specialized services for kids with Autism or at least has programs to develop the communication and social skills for kids, I would truly appreciate the help here . All the best.

Gus

Starting to feel at home...
    I live in BC and when Autism was identified in a child at my daughters care center, they helped arrange for special assistance in the classroom as a 'one on one' to help build the child's skills. I am not sure what your province offers, but I would do some research on assistance. I would also search for a care center that has worked with autism previously, a caregiver with training in autism, or a home care where the provider may have an autistic child of their own. Not a ton of help, I know. But from what I understand, the extra legwork may pay off with a great care provider able to empathize and maximize the skill potential of your child.
    Currently....the autistic boy I know...went from screaming daily/constantly for months to socialization and now moving on to kindergarten! What did it take? A great caregiver who intervened, tried techniques and learned that he needs sensory and social control. Earphones and a higher seat made magic start to happen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SillyGirl_C View Post
    I live in BC and when Autism was identified in a child at my daughters care center, they helped arrange for special assistance in the classroom as a 'one on one' to help build the child's skills. I am not sure what your province offers, but I would do some research on assistance. I would also search for a care center that has worked with autism previously, a caregiver with training in autism, or a home care where the provider may have an autistic child of their own. Not a ton of help, I know. But from what I understand, the extra legwork may pay off with a great care provider able to empathize and maximize the skill potential of your child.
    Currently....the autistic boy I know...went from screaming daily/constantly for months to socialization and now moving on to kindergarten! What did it take? A great caregiver who intervened, tried techniques and learned that he needs sensory and social control. Earphones and a higher seat made magic start to happen.
    Thank you for your reply, I am still looking. I have created a plan for him to exercises at home, hopefully that will aid him.

Thanks

Hope you can find the right school for your kid. I will research this and be back.

I'm also very much interested in this thread. Thanks for the info.