Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

ONTARIO "Two caregivers working model"

A question, what are your thoughts or experiences. It seems they're debating now the "two caregivers working model"; are there any provinces doing it. What are the pros and cons, how many children aRe a max. And how the capacity of the house is evaluated.

Since in Ontario we're not able to do playdates I personally thought it will be great if they approve the "two caregiver working model"; not to profit from it but to avoid isolation and enrich my programing. Ex. It gets expensive to contract a music teacher for my group but between two groups we can share costs and we can get together in each other's house. Any thoughts?

If the Ontario Two provider model does happen, it will be for "licensed" providers only. You will need insurance that will cover two providers and X number of kids. This will be hard to find as the insurance companies don't have to have policies that go along with the laws. This model will not be for simple play-dates. They want to set it up so there is two daycares running out of the same house.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    In PEI, we ARE allowed play dates inside the home but that's exactly what they have to be - An occasional, scheduled event, that can be on the premises of one day home provided that there are records showing that this isn't the location of both provider's. We aren't allowed to do this every day or for a whole day. It's literally a couple hours or so and the preference is, weather permitting, that this shared time is off site at a play park or similar public location.

We are not allowed 2 provider's from one location in fact our regulations specifically state that an additional adult or helper on site does not allow for an increase in children on the premises.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I think the reason they have been evaluating this idea is because it was in their agenda when they started the changes, I guess now they will evaluate and decide if they go through it or not. I hope they do, it will be great to do playdates with a friend.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    If the Ontario Two provider model does happen, it will be for "licensed" providers only. You will need insurance that will cover two providers and X number of kids. This will be hard to find as the insurance companies don't have to have policies that go along with the laws. This model will not be for simple play-dates. They want to set it up so there is two daycares running out of the same house.
    I'm sorry I'm not sure who or which part would be interested in setting it up for two providers to make a business with a large group in one house. I just have read the agencies association proposal and I do not think they intend to do so. There is a lot to consider according to them and they're actually suggesting to start with a kind of playdates pilot program.

Are there playdates pilot programs already in place for this kind of a thing btw?

Outgoing
    Unfortunately not. They still keeping the same ruling. Only 5 kids in home or 6 if you're licensed. And doesn't matter if there are more adults the ratio us 5 or 6 per household.

The pilot program didn't have much caregiver support. So they moved onto something else.

Hopefully working towards changing the only two under two's ruling.

Shy
    Hmm, good point.