Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Eco Friendly daycare - London, Ontario

Does anyone know of a daycare in London, Ontario Canada that uses eco-friendly cleaning products?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by PtAlCuFe View Post
    Does anyone know of a daycare in London, Ontario Canada that uses eco-friendly cleaning products?
    Just a side note - eco friendly cleaning is for cleaning. It doesn't sanitize. Just like baking soda and vinegar clean but don't sanitize. In a group day care setting, there is a requirement for sanitizing on top of cleaning. That effectively means bleach based or disinfectant based products, with extended contact of 10 mins plus.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Same as Suzie_Homemaker explanation. We can use all cleaning products eco-friendly but sanitizing must be done by using bleach. It us also explained in the ministry's of education cceya doc. And some small things can also be sanitized using steam or heat (most dishwasher have this option too)

Licensed homedaycares are monitored and also asked to to use bleach or other effective and recognized disinfectants, the use of those are same as health practicioners where exposure to bodily fluids is common. Restaurants and other public services also follow this regulation.

So far, medically I haven't hear of any other natural or eco friendly products that has the same effect. I've been searching.

I use a disinfectant that is used at hospitals also a commercial disinfectant hands wash soap. The rest as daily dish wash soap, laundry detergent, softener, shampoo, cleaning house stuff. It is made by using vinegar, baking soda, soap nuts, castile soap and essential oils, the sanitize feature of my dishwasher. Floors, and general surface is sanitized with bleach every week mouthed toys daily, bathrooms daily and tables where we eat daily.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 05-15-2018 at 05:53 AM.

Euphoric !
    A good family friend of mine works for Public Health Canada. There is no eco friendly sanitizing product other than steam which is not viable for many items in a child care setting.

Hi there! I think that it is necessary to have eco-friendly cleaning products and other natural items in a child care setting.

You can use tea tree oil which is both antibacterial and anti fungal.
    I add 4 table spoon, to 200ml of water in a spray bottle, mist, let sit 20 minutes and rinse.

I don't know any of a daycare in London that uses eco-friendly cleaning products. I'd like to learn more about the list of possible addresses.

Euphoric !
    While parents might think it's important, it's not viable based on the Departments who have input into the regs we have to follow. The Department of Health would close us down if we were just cleaning without sanitzing. If it's really important for your child to be in a eco-friendly cleaned environment, then that can't be a group care situation. You'll have to have a nanny in your home with your preferred cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Just a side note - eco friendly cleaning is for cleaning. It doesn't sanitize. Just like baking soda and vinegar clean but don't sanitize. In a group day care setting, there is a requirement for sanitizing on top of cleaning. That effectively means bleach based or disinfectant based products, with extended contact of 10 mins plus.
    very informative. Thanks