Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Loud Sleep Talker & Energetic DCB Waking Everyone Up During Naptime

I have 4 children in my care, & 1 is my own almost 3 year old daughter, a set of 2 year old twins, & a 16 month old. The one constant arising issue I face almost daily is with one of the twins who I have had for 3 months. I have all 3 older children sleeping in the same room (I’m supervising in the room the entire time), & the baby in her own room in a playpen. When getting comfortable to go for a nap when laying down, he likes to talk to himself a little louder than a “quiet time whisper”. He also talks in his sleep, & often whimpers loudly in his sleep as well. I find he is often waking everyone else up when he wakes up & when he talks or whimpers & I don’t know what to do. One option I considered was having him sleep in his own room, but I have heard that I am legally not allowed to let children sleep in an unsupervised room if they are able to get out of the beds themselves, which all 3 are (they sleep on cots). I have tried a sound machine in the room to drain it out but it just excites him more & he becomes energetic FAST. He doesn’t seem to understand that quiet time means QUIET time, & every “shh” & “whispering only please” just goes in one ear & out the other. I have tried bringing it up to the parents but they initially found it funny & laughed & chalked it up to being “yep that’s ‘alan’!” (Not his real name). His sister (twin) & him have a very close bond as twins & cannot be away from each other for long so when he wakes up he almost intentionally tries to wake up his sister which the family has also chalked up to it being so cute. I have also tried TV (I’m pretty strict with limiting TV, & usually am against it) but it just made him more excited. I have tried letting him play quietly on his cot AND in a separate (still within view) space with quiet toys & he almost always finds a way to turn those quiet time toys into loud rambunctious time toys.

Someone please help? Lol
    Last edited by wpgmomma0412; 01-11-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Shy
    Have you tried putting "alan" for a nap before the others so that he is asleep when they go nap or vs if that would work better? Or move him as far apart as you can from the others. I have never heard that children cannot sleep in their own room. As long as there are no hazards and the door is left open for constant checks on him, I'm not sure there is actually anything against that.

Outgoing
    Hi, you're right when you mention that...

... legally not allowed to let children sleep in an unsupervised room if they are able to get out of the beds themselves,*
    Even if they cannot get out of their beds they still need close supervision. I deal with children with atsma, food and other allergies, etc. So there is a need of my close supervision and monitoring when they nap. Even if they wouldn't have those issues I still monitor (I'm usually able to tell parents who had difficulties breathing or changing positions excessively etc)

Also, if you read de CCEYA doc. Children should sleep together in a room (obviously because in the event of any dangerous thing happening in the house you should be able to reach the whole group and be able to evacuate inmediately with out leaving anyone behind); that's the reason "licensed" agencies make sure the sleeping rooms have an extra exit (and an operational widow) or another exit door; it is also better if the sleep arrangements are ideally done in a main floor.

In regards of your little guy, for your description, I can see he still has lot of energy and he is not ready to sleep and I'm certain that tv won't make the trick (it has a different effect in the brain).

He needs fresh air, or more physical activities (I have a group of boys), even when the weather isn't the best to go out we do a lot physical activities (dance a ton), after lunch they usually fall asleep like logs. 13 months to 3 years olds (and I have two that gave up nap time but also these kid's are able to do quiet activities in a more cooperative way after a physical busy morning).

When you describe "alan" is a chatter box; it is because his brain is engaged in "innerspeech"(repeat ing things he has heard or singing, etc) which describes practically his brain and body aren't tired enough to have a rest.

When I have a new baby starting I usually sit or stay beside the playpen to observe their sleep patterns that helps me to act accordingly. Some children sleep well with just a walk around the block (fresh air), some need to run off their energy and stress, also some girls have different levels of energy (I cared for a group of girls before it was slightly different than caring for boys).
    Nutritional factors might also influence too. My suggestion would be to observe closely keep a notebook and record his sleep patterns.

I hope it helps. Good luck.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 01-13-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Euphoric !
    I've also never heard about the rule that children cannot be left unsupervised at nap time but rules are set at a provincial level and vary. I'm not sure where you are so it's harder to look and check to see if you are applying rules from a different province to your situation.

At two, he's young. Some children do chatter more than others even when settling at nap time. It's just his personality. I would ensure he's getting lots of outside time, all year around because if he's tired, that will be a big help in reducing the time. I'd also move him back to where you had him isolated (where you can still see all children) but remove any toys or activities from his crib/play pen.