Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Outgoing
    Problem is you're contagious before showing symptoms
    My daycare is closed

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ebhappydc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you for that website and info. So it looks like we are included in daycare closures. But it's still confusing, so I emailed them directly and will update when I hear back. I also asked about government assistance if we remain closed. One parent brought her son and he's been coughing and has chest congestion. Geez! I even sent an email about the symptoms of COVID 19 and coughing is one of them. I took his temperature, and he's normal. Just feeling very frustrated about that. Keep your kids home!

JUST trying to get a feel of who is closed or closing and if you are charging the parents. Most of my parents ARE GETTING PAID, so would it be selfish to ask to be paid???

Outgoing
    The Ministry of Education ontario sent memo that unlicensed daycares and home licensed daycares are NOT included in closures We can stay open

After talking to other providers, nurse friends and my insurance company I’ve decided to close for 2 weeks starting on Monday. I will leave it up to the parents as to if they offer partial fees or not but that’s because my contract states that I don’t charge if I choose to close...and right now it is my choice. But...because it’s still our choice I’m worried that we won’t qualify for financial assistance yet either.
    And of course I’m concerned about what will happen past the 2 weeks!!! When I reopen I plan to have reworked my sick policy to include cough etc. I included this in the message I sent to all my families so they’re aware that some changes are coming.
    Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Problem is you're contagious before showing symptoms
    My daycare is closed
    Are parents still required to pay you even though they can't bring the kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy123 View Post
    After talking to other providers, nurse friends and my insurance company I’ve decided to close for 2 weeks starting on Monday. I will leave it up to the parents as to if they offer partial fees or not but that’s because my contract states that I don’t charge if I choose to close...and right now it is my choice. But...because it’s still our choice I’m worried that we won’t qualify for financial assistance yet either.
    And of course I’m concerned about what will happen past the 2 weeks!!! When I reopen I plan to have reworked my sick policy to include cough etc. I included this in the message I sent to all my families so they’re aware that some changes are coming.
    Stay safe and healthy everyone!
    It's such an ethical question. For instance, are gyms asking for monthly fees? It's complicated with services because they're unable to use them and then if they need to pay for them as well, it can be difficult for families. However, we also need an income and dedicate our homes to caring for these children. OHHH, I wish there was a clear answer on what to do. I would really like to close for 2 weeks as well. But not sure what to do about fees.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearlessbaby View Post
    Are parents still required to pay you even though they can't bring the kids?
    I'm in Ont and after learning the Ministry of Education is allowing home based daycares to remain open (for now), and after I had parents beg me to stay open while they work at home, I have decided to stay open to those families who are comfortable sending their child. Of the 5 kids, one is staying away. During the State of Emerg date set by Ont gov't until March 31, I am not charging during this time if a child does not attend. After March 31 I will have to re-evaluate as I cannot hold a spot open endlessly, and there are lots of people trying to find care now that centres are closed. In hindsight though, a fair measure imo would be to meet half way, parent pays half fees at least to hold a spot during this crisis. An end date needs to be in place for how long a spot will be held as it could be filled with a family in need and who are willing to pay. I also didn't want to close for fear my desperate families who need care would search elsewhere and I'd lose them.
    This situation isn't going away any time soon. All of my families are avoiding visiting the seniors in their families, and basically just staying home. They know if their child is even a little bit ill, they don't come.

Outgoing
    Hi Ladies,
    This situation is so unfortunate for all of us.

I can see this discussion and calls to my attention that many of you make statements, like this virus won't touch you! Neither your family or loved ones.

Maybe it's because you're a younger generation perhaps (20-40's)

If you read the news many people is getting laid off, being realistic. I'm sure the next thing to do is to start cutting many non basic services, and childcare is only considered basic whIle they have a job and not when they're at home without a job.

Yes, if you decide to still open go ahead.

I had to close because the risk in my groups of families were big. Plus if your "read", children can still be contagious without showing synthoms. That's how China, and currently Italy and EnglaND are in big trouble, this virus is hard to trace and act earlier to prevent it. My heart and my deep feelings go to you, that will be exposed in a daily basis (not knowing ), screen your families, crazy washing hands and disinfecting, and no socializing what so ever.

Call your insurance companies, protect yourselves and your families as much as you can.

At this point it's not matter of discussion to see who pays or who doesn't. We are all called to focus on working towards "FLATTENING THE CURB" and hopefully not ending up like China or Italy.

Unfortunately, Ontario cases still increasing. And if that keeps going they will definitely close everything.

Please, forsee the danger ahead, not just for you. Also for your family and your community.

If parents are working at home and need childcare. It's because, (if you're a parent and noticed), working from home while taking care children is impossible. In this situation they obviously need our support.

I have seen already, contract policies changing and covering the pandemic issue. A paper won't protect you. When there is such risks, adults constantly fail to protect children; the parents for placing kids in care and in groups when there is a warning, the caregivers opening knowing of such danger but finantial gain is the main goal for some people first.

If there aren't jobs (caused due to the spread and increase of this virus) many of us will face the situacion of closing indefinitely. And be sure that desesperate families will be asking their paid upfront deposits back, regardless you having a spot to keep or not.

I'm just hopping I'm wrong. But please take the necessary precautions.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 03-22-2020 at 07:11 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Thank you Peacefulbird. Very wise words in my opinion.

I will definitely be remaining closed for 2 weeks but then will be re-evaluating the situation. My policies will be changed when (I can’t quite bring myself to say if) I reopen whether that be in 2 weeks or more. I had a tiny call in sick with a low grade fever this morning at which point I promptly communicated with the other families who were due to drop off children. The house will be empty from today. This little guy seemed perfectly healthy until he woke from nap yesterday with flushed cheeks. Hopefully it’s nothing more than a slight bug but we just don’t know. This only reiterates that we have no way to tell if a seemingly well child is harbouring germs and what those germs may be.

Stay safe everyone.